In many ways, when we age we are the same as we’ve always been. But also, things change. You are wise to acknowledge that.
- You may be considering what you need to do to “age in place.” Whether you should move closer to your kids. If an independent living or continuing care retirement community is the best choice for you.
- Perhaps you are part of a couple and have noticed your partner is beginning to have trouble.
- Maybe you fly solo and you are wondering who will care for you if the time comes when you need help.
- It could be that you helped your own parents and would like to plan things ahead of time to avoid the stress and burden for your own children.
Want a guide for the journey?
As the South Central Texas experts in aging well, we can help you avoid common pitfalls. We know the medical system, and we know local programs and service options. We also understand the challenges of aging families!
Give us a call at (210) 492-1224
Here are some ways we can help:
- Outline your options. Have you been wondering what it would take to stay in your home as you age? What you would need to remodel to make your home “age-friendly?” Do you have enough money to cover the cost of home care should you need it? If you wanted to live in a more social setting, how much would that cost? And which community is the best match for your personality and pocketbook? With an Aging In Place consultation we can discuss your local options and make recommendations based on your personal priorities and available resources.
- Create a plan for peace of mind.
If you have children, they may be anxious about your safety. But in their desire to help, they can sometimes get a little overzealous. Alternatively, you may have a spouse you are worried about, but you aren’t sure how bad things are or aren’t. For that matter, you may have worries about your own situation, now or in the future. Having an objective, experienced professional in the picture eases all concerns. Following an initial assessment and discussion of your resources and preferences, we can provide you with a credible plan for addressing any problems you may have now, or any that may arrive down the line.
- Advocate for you with doctors.
The medical system is its own labyrinth. We know it well! Working with you to establish your goals of care, we can be sure that you and your interests are always at the center of the decision-making.
- Coordinate care.
There are many different types of support services available. As the local experts in aging well, we can guide you to the best providers for your situation. We can also help to manage multiple different providers to be sure they are in good communication and working together toward the same goals—yours!
- Provide emotional support.
As Bette Davis so aptly observed, “Old age ain’t no place for sissies.” There are certainly losses that come with aging. But there are also strengths that emerge. And many creative ways to move through this stage of life with grace, good humor, and increased satisfaction. We can help you keep joy, meaning and quality of life at the forefront of your journey.
- Ease the burden of common ailments.
Whether it’s memory problems, managing multiple diseases, or frequent hospitalizations, we’ve been there with our clients. Through thick and thin, we can support you to stay as healthy as possible. We can also offer many real-world non-medical suggestions that make the difference between a lousy day, or one where you actually get to do things you like to do.
- Save you money.
We can help you find local services that are best suited to your needs and your pocketbook. You could be eligible for programs you are not aware of. Or there may be duplication in your current coverage that can be trimmed out to lower your expenses.
- Make sure your wishes are followed.
Whether it’s medical decisions, or financial decisions, if something happens to you and you need a professional third party to act on your behalf, we put someone in place who will faithfully implement your plans. If your decision-makers are family members, we can serve as a guide for them, adding our wisdom and experience with elder care to their intimate knowledge of you and what you would want.
You don’t need to do this alone.
Give us a call at (210) 492-1224.